Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday Morning Breakfast

My favorite breakfast food is waffles and over the years, I have tried a good many recipes. I can't say I've found a favorite, but I really like the one I tried this morning. The most important ingredients I have found in making really good waffles are butter and buttermilk and this one's got 'em both. They came out evenly brown and crispy on the outside (an absolute must IMHO). If I'd thought more about posting this recipe, I would have gotten some nice fun toppings for them. Sorry I wasn't on top of my game today folks - you'll just have to use your imagination.




Buttermilk Waffles from Everyday Food September 2008 issue

2 cups all-puropse flour (I used 1 cup a.p., 1 cup whole wheat)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
toppings (gonna have to do another post some other day on these)

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs; add flour mixture and mix just until combined.

Pour batter onto pre-heated waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions (or, if your like me and haven't read those instructions, according to your own personal experience).

They also added the following note, which I think definitely makes for better waffles: Like pancakes, waffles require a gentle hand when preparing the batter. For the most tender results, don't overmix it - there should still be some lumps remaining.

I guess at the pinnacle of the waffle world are Belgian waffles. Someday I hope to own (and, more importantly, have a kitchen big enough to store it) a Belgian waffle maker, but for now, my trusty (and compact) Cuisinart handles the job well.

Now, go eat some waffles and enjoy your weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

These look and sound yummy! Where do you get the low-fat buttermilk? I really need to get a wafflemaker now.