Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mangia!

I am so proud to be part Italian (although, I think I'm only a quarter or something like that - I still claim the heritage). My great grandparents came over from Siciliy in the 1920's and I still remember going to their house as a kid and just stuffing myself silly. My nonna was probably the greatest cook I ever knew - gosh I miss her! Almost as soon as we walked in the door, she was saying "Mangia! Mangia!" because the table was already piled high with traditional southern Italian food (my favorite was a dish called scachatta - I have no idea how it's spelled, but this is how she pronounced it - which is kind of like a stuffed deep dish sausage pizza. I'll have to make it for you all sometime!). I'm getting hungry just remembering those days.

Well, I don't think this is a traditional food from Italy, but I love it just the same (and just like me, it's descendants had to come from somewhere over there).


I like this recipe because it's easier (and not to mention healthier) than the original in that you don't have to fry the eggplant - you bread and then bake them. Serve it up with some pasta and a salad and dinner's done. Three out of four kids approved of this dish, and I think that last vote was a nay because he wasn't feeling really well. The others ate it up and even Little Miss K, my 3 year old, had seconds!


Mangia bene!


No comments: