Sunday, August 17, 2008

No green thumb here

You know, I really have had some success before at gardening: tomatoes, green and red peppers, green beans, watermelon, broccoli. But I must admit failure when it's due. Now I realize this isn't exactly gardening, but it's in the same ballpark.

Back in the early spring, I decided not to plant anything in my garden in the back yard because we were going to be away this summer for 4 weeks and didn't want to have to ask my very kind neighbors to care for it for that long. However, one of the things I would really miss was having fresh herbs (I usually grew at least Italian parsley, basil and thyme). So I thought would try planting some for the kitchen - how hard can it be, right?.

Instead of buying nice, easy, already established plants, I decided to try my hand at planting from seed - got the little peat moss disks, seed packets, those cheap little trays, and I was set, this should be easy right? Lots of people have success at this, right? Alas, not I.


That's supposed to be parsley and thyme. I know you're thinking "parsley, I mean c'mon? That's sooo easy." I tried folks, I really did. It just didn't work out for me and I really don't understand why, but I have come to accept the fact that I failed. period. the end. sigh.

Enter in the nice, easy, already established plants from Meijer:


I already had the rosemary, which has been used many times, and I am looking forward to combining that basil with some fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes (from the aforementioned very kind neighbor) and olive oil in the very near future!

No comments: