Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ready for fall? Put on a pot of chili!

This version of chili is hands down, my kids favorite - in fact, they love it so much, they request it! When I made this the other day, my eldest said, and I quote, "this is the best chili ever, Mom". I got the recipe from my dear friend Christy a few years ago and haven't made another chili recipe since - gotta keep the troops happy you know. And there's a bonus: it's insanely easy to make and pretty healthy for you too (shhhhhhhh, don't tell the kids)!



Turkey Chili

2 pounds ground turkey
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1-2 Tbsp cumin
2-3 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
28 ounce can tomato sauce
11 ounce can tomato soup
1 can of water
2 cans kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans or any combination thereof
1/2 cup wine or one can of beer (or water if you don't have either on hand)
salt and pepper
topping options: grated cheese, sour cream, green onions, chopped cilantro, saltines, tortilla chips (the kids love to customize and make up their own concoctions - it can get out of hand sometimes :-)


Brown turkey with onion and garlic. Mix in remaining ingredients and cook on low for one hour.



How easy is that?! Serve with cornbread muffins, a little salad and dinner's done. If your kids weren't chili fans before now, they will be after you serve 'em this. Have fun with it and enjoy!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Laura, this recipe could not have come at a better time! I just bought four pounds of turkey at Publix (I just couldn't resist the price) to use for Prudence Pennywise's salsa verde burgers. Of course, I only needed one pound for the burgers, so I was just sitting here wondering what I would do with the other three pounds. Now I know (well, I know where at least two of them will go). I'm making this this weekend. And I AM ready for fall!!

Sorry you missed Barefoot Bloggers today! You should make those turnovers anyway. They were easier and yummy!

Andrea said...

I'm ready for fall if it means a bowl of this chili! I wish I could be one of your children for a day :-)

Meg said...

This would be delicious on a nice Fall evening!

Viki Xavier. said...

oh, i feel soooo... hungry on seeing your yummy chili dish.

Laura said...

Thanks everyone - I thik everyone is ready for fall. My only problem with it is what follows. Brrrrrrrrr. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Prudy said...

This is exactly what I'm making this week. Chili and cornmuffins. Can't wait! Your turkey version looks scrumptious!

M said...

Hey Laura...I am going to try this recipe this week (since it is supposed to get chilly)...I have really enjoyed all your recipes so I far...I will let you know what we think of this one!