Monday, January 5, 2009

Lighter Chicken Parmesan

After I get back form Walt Disney World, I plan on really starting to watch what I eat (there's really no point while you're on vacation, right?). I've decided to use WeightWatchers.com and see how it works out. WW doesn't have any meeting places close to where I live (I'm spoiled now, living in a small town and think 25 minutes is just too far to go for a meeting, or anything else for that matter) so I'm going to track my points online. I'll try to include the points values for the recipes I post, but I can't promise I can get to every one. I'll also be tracking my weekly workouts which will hopefully be 4 runs and 2 cross trains. I've got the best of intentions don't I?!

Anyway, here's a recipe that's really easy and is a kid-pleaser too. Sorry, I don't have the points value for this dish yet, but the nutritional data is at the bottom of the recipe.


Baked Chicken Parmesan

1.5 pounds boneless chicken breasts (about 6)
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
1.5 cups prepared tomato sauce (for a time-saver, I like to use Bertolli or Newman's Own)
1/2 cup egg substitute (or two eggs, beaten)

Preheat oven to 375°. Spread olive oil in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Pat chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Put eggs in another shallow bowl and set the bowls side by side.

Here's my assembly line:


Dredge each chicken breast in eggs, letting excess drip off, and then dredge in bread crumb mixture. Set each breast in the prepared 13x9 pan.


Bake for appx. 20 minutes until the chicken starts to get lightly browned.

Remove pan from oven. Cover the chicken with the tomato sauce and top with mozzarella cheese.


Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.



Nutritional Information (by Nutritiondata.com)
6 Servings

219 Calories
8g Total fat
4g Saturated Fat
26mg Cholesterol
369mg Sodium
18g Total Carbs
2g Dietary Fiber
17g Protein

I like to serve this with a side of pasta and I really like the Barilla Plus line (extra fiber and protein) - but if you're watching carbs, just serve it with loads of veggies!


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip! Will you be running in the half marathon while you are there? Good luck -- I am so impressed! I love this recipe -- I think my whole family will enjoy it (no easy task) and it looks really healthy!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

this looks yummy; nobody could guess it's lighter! And Newman's own and Bertolli are two of my favorites for jar sauces. Yum! Hope your trip is great.
Nancy

Jennifer said...

They used to have WW meetings in Mahomet. I am SO with you!!! Maybe we can inspire each other with HEALTHY creations!

Jennifer said...

I am going to make this without the breadcrumbs - so the carbs are lower and try it with ground pork rinds or another alternative.

Darius T. Williams said...

Lighter, huh? I can dig it!

Flourchild said...

I have a recipe similar to this and my family loves it too. I hope your exercise and eating healthy thing goes well!